Friday, January 29, 2010

"Education for all vs. education for each" - The Audio-Tutorial Approach (Kullk, Kullk, & Cohen)

I've just been rereading my notes to refresh myself for this posting - and came across the quote that I've used as my title. It seems so strange to me that back in the 1960s folks were just starting to figure out that maybe, just maybe, individualized instruction was the way to go. And then, to my horror, realize as I consider classrooms of today that we still haven't really reached that ideal that K. Patricia Cross set out for education! Something to think about.

To be honest when I first saw the title of the approach for this week, I kind of laughed to myself. It seems so natural - that it almost seemed comical that someone "thought it up" or "developed it" one day. So much so that - yes I know this may say something about me - when I first started to read the article I expected there to be something in there about iPods and podcasting. And yes, I knew the publication date was 1979. I guess I've been drinking too much of the Apple Kool-aid!

I get the AT approach. I can also see how it was revolutionary for its time. As I started to really get into the research I was intrigued by the fact that I had never heard of it when I was in undergrad career - either by reading about it or by experiencing it. Especially considering what technology could do for this.

I took a course last semester and the professor (for technical reasons) issued his lectures as podcasts - and every week we had to download and listen to them and then gather on a course blog to discuss our readings and the lecture. Now, it's not AT exactly... but its close given the technology that we have available to us now.

So, could this method be applied today? Absolutely. A laptop and your good to go. You don't even have to use special software - there are free screencasting apps and voice recorders out there that could facilitate your audio. Then find a location to house your files... Google, a wiki, wherever. Create some sort of module to facilitate and present the audio files - the "lab" is no longer needed physically, you can have a virtual lab - the internet! Finally, set up study session groups via online means... chatting, Google Wave, Elluminate, what not. You would need to be mindful about having to keep your stuff up-to-date... but that's part of being in this field. :)

I'm actually in this place right now where my research is about to turn down the road towards using online, audio tutorials for language learning. So - it's pretty exciting that we're now talking about the AT approach!

Off now to peruse my colleagues' blogs. Excited to see what they have to share.

4 comments:

  1. From Jennifer Knott:

    Something in me wants to cling to the "old" ways and not give in fully to all these technology "gadgets" - so, I envision AT still distinguishing itself as the only true way an individual can experience individual learning. Let me explain: the Internet assumes that everything on a web server is shared. There's no real sense of privacy, it's more of community. If a person goes into a virtual lab on the Internet to listen to an audio file and test against it, does the person experience their own session of learning? I think not. That's why I believe sending module packets in links and attachments via email allows the person to think and respond better as an individual. However, I do agree that using Google Wave or Elluminate (to gather as a class and discuss) as a group is a great way of keeping up-to-date with contemporary technologies, as well as confirm or disprove the materials learned. Almost utilitarian in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an irony that lives deep, deep inside of me. I love technology - gadgets and ideas and instructional strategies. But, honestly, there are somethings... some classes... some subjects... that I will only teach or lead when there is no technology whatsoever. Give me a blackboard and my wits and I'll be fine. :)

    I think that AT can be used for stockpiling content in the brain - independently, as you've said. I don't think it can substitute for true community that being a part of a class gives you. (Face to face or virtual.) There's an environment that is created in an alternative classroom that supports higher levels of learning ... Kevin's created one in this course with our course blogs.

    I'm not sure I've answered the spirit of your comment, however. Let me know if I haven't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your thinking on all the different tools one could leverage to support A-T today. How did you like the audio podcast lectures? Seems like one possibility, but I wondered if your instructor used any visuals like Powerpoint in addition to the vocals? Could an instructor convey as much info without some visual aid like a PDF of Powerpoint slides or a workbook you download?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    Eh, to be honest? The podcast lectures were a little much. He had originally been doing lectures like you are now - only he used Microsoft Sharepoint (I think that's right...) to film himself talking and the ppt slides. Those videos were 75 minutes + ... and let's just say no one should ever talk that long on an online lecture!

    I would much rather prefer the visual included with the audio... doesn't have to be video - but something to help. Auditory learners could simply listen, while visual/auditory learners (like me) could watch and listen simultaneously. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete