Friday, January 29, 2010

Where is information? What does it mean to educate?

I was just reading my peer's blog and it stirred something in me that I've been mulling over these past few weeks/months.

Where does information live? Is it in a book? Is it online? Is there a difference between the "realness" of something if its on a webpage versus in print? Are there differences between wikis and blogs as well as books and newspapers as to what is real?

These first two models that we've been studying... PSI (Keller) and the AT Approach... they both have at the foundation of their models that information exists "out there" (somewhere) and I (the teacher/student) must get it "in here" (me pointing to my brain).

I don't disagree that this interpretation/philosophy does indeed work from time to time... my issue is that many believe it's the only way to view learning, teaching, educating, etc.

These two plans are great for getting information from out there into the brain. Is that all it's about though?

Just some some mental ramblings...

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca Kirstein: Education is so much more than learning content. Students get so much for their money. There are the social graces, team building, patience, and of course humility. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning content is only one of the goals of education. My point - the aim of my post and questions - was to challenge the philosophy that learning content is the ONLY goal.

    Of course education and learning isn't only about learning content. I'd argue that education's primary concern is about relationships - relationships with others and with knowledge.

    Does this make more sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Jennifer Knott: Matthew... you're in my head. I have often posed the question to Kindle readers and printed newspaper readers alike - what is real? What makes the Kindle a preferred reading device over holding a newspaper with ones hands and actually turning the pages? I think the answer lies in the pleasure center of the brain. There's no joy for me in fondling a digital device to turn a page of a book, then for others, the wow-ness of new innovations are toys for us to play with. As to information coming from these inventions and getting into our brains... again, much has to do with whether or not we enjoy the activity. I'm assuming the wow factor wears off, and that explains why there are so many first generation iPhones for sale out there.

    ReplyDelete