Friday, February 26, 2010

Model, Coach, Fade = Authentic learning: My Love affair with Cognitive Apprenticeship

You know that phrase/realization that young couples make early in the honeymoon period that they learn to love each other more and more with each passing day? (I'm not being cynical - because I do believe this is true!)

Well - this pretty much feels like my experience with all of these learning theories. I know we've only just scratched the surface of what we're going to learn this semester (actually, I think we're at halfway now that I really think about it) but it seems like with each passing week I like/love that week's theory moreso than the previous weeks'. And here we have my love affair with SL/CA (Situated Learning/Cognitive Apprenticeship). I say love affair because love is confusing and complicated and messy and deep ... and that's how I'm feeling right now about SL/CA. :)

One the one hand I was pseudo-relieved that all of this research had been completed providing a true, theoretically based alternative to "formal" schooling. (If you've read any of my previous posts you'll know that I have quite a bone to pick with traditional modes of education.) On the other hand - I was kind of pissed! Why hadn't I thought of all of this... dismissing, of course, the fact that I was in elementary school when all of this research was being done. Ha!

I just love this theory. Normally every week I carve out a few hours for my 517 reading and I dutifully peruse, skim, highlight, pencil my thoughts in the margins the articles that we are to read for the week. Not so with this theory - I (for lack of a better expression) inhaled the articles this week. Couldn't get enough of it. I'm thinking about being Lave or Collins when I grow up.

Even the name - cognitive apprenticeship - it just sounds sexy! And it makes so much SENSE. In the Collins piece they open their conclusion with "Apprenticeship is the way we learn most naturally." Thank you, God, for someone else putting this into print. But they don't totally discount other traditional, information transmission models - because (drum roll....) There is no one right way to do anything. Whew. Just had to get that out there.

Another interesting reflection is the cognitive dissonance that I'm experiencing as I try to "fit" the SL/CA model in my brain (thank you, Piaget). I consider myself to be a pretty good teacher/educator. And I'm one hell of a storyteller when it comes to direct, information transmission instruction. But I also feel like there are pieces of the SL/CA process that I used... for lack of a better way of putting it... naturally - meaning I was never "formally" trained to use these processes. I'm thinking in particular about the Model, Coach, Fade trilogy. But then something interesting happened as I was trying to figure out whether I was living the theory all this time or I was trying to make my own teaching fit the theory... I realized that how I learned the Model, Coach, Fade process was by observing it in other master teachers. Throw in the reflection and the post-game analysis as well - I never realized the value in the conversations I used to have after class with my teachers/professors where I became privy to their background and rationale for doing what they did in the classroom. I was a wee little apprentice!

Another component/observation that I found fascinating was that in each of the articles (realizing that I'm not going to realistically be able to talk about each one of them here) there is not that air/feeling that grades and "high achievement" (whatever that means) are lurking in the shadows. (The, "Oh yes, this is a nice theory alright... but what about the grades? What about the test scores?") I also appreciated the depth of the Collins article in particular for its providing detailed examples of the theory in action, thoughts on intrinsic emotion, as well as a framework for future study.

I do have some questions about the De Bruijn article's methodology - but I think some of there statements are fascinating. (Adult learners that are lower educated have a harder time self-directing their learning for instance.) Mainly - they were concerned that students (the adults) didn't take the "coaching" help by clicking the help button to get assistance. I wonder if assuming/imposing the structure of computer help button = coaching might be the problem... not that the students didn't want or wouldn't accept coaching. Also, they make a huge, broad, sweeping claim about lower-educated adult learners being generally passive. Um, if you sat me down with that program I'd probably be pretty "passive" as well. How much of this passiveness that they saw in their participants was culture driven/bound? How much was due to (maybe) a poorly chosen task? (I don't feel particularly motivated by being able to make change, for example.) I have more, but getting away from the point here.

Integrating this into a computer-mediated environment. Hrm. The two examples we read about (the money problem, the business course project) sounded like the software that was produced was costly and time-consuming. So I've been stuck trying to think of ways to get around having to "build" or create a whole other learning environment. Maybe SecondLife could be used as one of the tools to help students? YouTube could surely be used to store videos of relative material. I think it would largely depend on the nature of the skill set and the domain that we're talking about (duh, context) as we're considering possibly technologies to support the instruction. For online instruction, there would need to be a sort of hub... the availability for the student to "observe" (maybe via YouTube or a video-chatting software) the teacher/model... some form of two-way communication like chatting or conferencing to encourage the coaching... and then fading would come naturally... reflection and acquirement strategies could be used via a blog or Twitter account.

I've written too much - but this is pretty much a love note, so I'm okay with it. I'll have to continue to reflect on ways to use technology for SL/AC... but I think that might be a career-long problem. :) Wonder if I'll be as in love next week with Goal Based Scenarios...

Have a great weekend, all!

10 comments:

  1. Hey Matthew,

    I am a true believer of Situated Learning. Even back during my undergrad student teaching days, I felt I learned more observing the mentors around me, in action with the students, than I did sitting in a 50 min or 120 min class having a professor "teach" me how things are supposed to be.

    I would love to see a bunch of examples of how people transfer it to online material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca Kirstein: I agree. I find the task taunting. It would be massive amounts of content to duplicate a real world apprenticeship. I don't think it impossible just very complicated. Matthew you are so entertaining. I love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts. Besides the fact that you crack me up, I love your thought processes and how you are able to get them on paper

    I am a musician and have taken online lessons periodically from the teacher I had in college. When I had something to play, especially some of the new music that didn't make any sense to me, I'd fax him the music, and we'd SKYPE out the problem. It wasn't perfect as there was a problem with audio lags here and there, but he was always able to coach me through the problems and made me feel able to tackle the piece. Since we had the video, he could also give me crap about hand position or embouchure. I was grateful for his live time help since I was so far away (up in Michigan) and he loved the idea of the online learning experience...he never charged me for the lessons!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew!

    I put this as a response to your comment on my blog, but I think I should repeat it here - Don't you just love it when research findings point out how brilliant you were (just being yourself) all these years! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN! There is no one right way to do anything. Every learning style is different, but I do also love each new style we learn more than the last!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that you mentioned using Second Life in an online class. Based on what I know about Second Life (I've never actually used it), I think it would provide a decent environment for situational simulations. I wonder whether it is possible to set up private, invitation-only events in Second Life. Otherwise, might random people interfere with a learning experience?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I've been thinking about my initial suggestion for using Second Life to facilitate some of the models we've learned about this semester and I think we need to get away from using "brands" - I mean it's really about a virtual world where you can create an immersive learning environment. There are other products out there designed with education and training in mind.

    Also - I wanted to point out that I think the difference between understanding these models and of learning and just doing them because it makes sense - separates the instructional designers from the teachers and I don't want to offend anyone who has taught -I just think understanding the rational and process takes it to the next level and I think we are all on our way there. This information gives us the authority to suggest, implement and maintain these learning models in our respective situations without people questioning our authority. Just some thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all - thank you all who mentioned that you enjoyed reading my posts. I try really hard to just express myself... and I do try a little to make it enjoyable for y'all to read. Figure if we have to read each others' posts, might as well make you guys chuckle at the same time as expressing my thoughts/opinions. :) ;) Love!

    And I think I hear what you're saying about branding, Morgan. I kind of got there yesterday in my thinking as well... that we're talk about creating spaces and cultures - and it's not so much about the tool as what we're using it to help create.

    Thank you for your thoughts on designers and teachers as well. Your paragraph really stuck in my head for awhile this morning. Here's where I landed. I think that teachers by nature are instructional designers. As soon as they stand up in front of a classroom and open their mouths they are designing instruction. Whether or not they are doing it deliberately... that's where I think we're all at right now. Learning how to step back and look at teaching/learning through these new lenses so that maybe our future educational experiences that we help create will be deliberately influenced by theory. Does that make sense?

    Let me know what you think!

    (Had to repost to correct a misspelling!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just telling one of your classmates on another comment that there are some really cool processes in history that can be modeled and scaffolded such as the SCIM-C approach for reading and interpreting primary source materials... http://www.historicalinquiry.com/scim/index.cfm
    You had mentioned how one might approach doing apprenticeship on a computer, and I thought this history process and some of the new tools made available to help students develop their own historical interpretations provided a really good model of apprenticeship on a computer. The tool Footnote, for example, http://www.footnote.com/tour/ allows students to not just access an online document, but create their own footnote pages to reflect on the document using a process like SCIM-C. A teacher could easily model this using Footnote, and then set students free to find their own docs of interest and work through the SCIM-C process.

    ReplyDelete