Sunday, March 28, 2010

The STAR LEGACY Modules: Launch Pads for Learning

Couldn't help myself with the title there. :)

I'm a little later than I had anticipated on my reflection this week.  Jet lag and getting back into the swing of life back home took longer than I thought it would.

Really, now.  Each week it just keeps getting better and better with these theories!

Lovin' the STAR.  "Software Technology for Action & Reflection."  Action and Reflection - that's some sexy stuff!

All kidding and joking aside I am quite impressed with this model and I feel a certain connection to it - and I'm not entirely sure if that is based in philosophy/theory or the style/tone of the authors.  I am a huge proponent of simplicity.  Simplicity = Godliness.  And - at least for me - the STAR methodology(ies) seem to just make good sense.

Let's start with the placement of this theory in relation to other theories - middle of the road they say - and I'd agree.  The phrase "Flexibly Adaptive Instructional Design" - while a mouthful - says it all.  Learning doesn't always happen in nice, neat little objective-sounding chunks.  It's not always linear.  It's cyclical and it builds on itself and it can be confusing and nerve-wracking.  Thank goodness they've figured out a way to hard-wire in reflection into the process!

Launch Pad for learning ... I think I'm changing my middle name to LaunchPad - or STAR.  This is exactly how I've been viewing our online modules that we're all creating for this course.  While we may be employing and trying on different instructional design theories, the modules that we're creating always serve as some sort of hub of what we're doing.  Now there's a theory that standardizes or formalizes this a bit.  Whoohoo!  (I know, I know... I'm greatly simplifying this, but you get my drift.)

And... drum roll... being thoughtful about your legacy?  YES!!  I love it!  There is just something that happens to you... imagine it... after you've been so invested in learning about ... whatever ... and you're feeling successful and proud of yourself and your group.  And then someone asks you - "What do you want your legacy to be?"  That's some awesome (and purposefully 'deep') stuff right there.  Bring it on!

Final big thought before I bring it on home.  Mapping out the journey.  Learning is a journey.  Sometimes where you though you were headed isn't where you really end up.  My methods professor in my undergrad used to talk about our Syllabus as a map.  And every few weeks we'd have a "consult the map" talk - where we looked back at where we'd been, where we were headed next, and how the terrain... and map!... had changed in the process.  I used to do this in my classroom as a math teacher - in fact it's one of the things I learned about myself as a learner - and that's helping map the terrain, throwing down some boundaries, laying out the context, painting the big picture... pick your metaphor... of what it is we're all about or what we're doing or what we're learning or where we're headed.  Love, love, love it.

How could this be done online today?  Easy.  Just like my group's been doing with our modules and Google Sites, and other groups with Weebly/Wordpress and what not.  There's your Launch Pad - some sort of easily editable website.  YouTube videos to help with Research.  Podcasts the same.  Google Docs for reflections.  Use Twitter to access experts.  Have them Test their Mettle with online quizzes and surveys to test their hypotheses.  Going Public... well that's never been easier than right now!  Have them broadcast their learning to the world!  Get some iPod Touches thrown in the mix and have at it.  Cell phones too. ;)

My one overarching question that this article/theory left me with: they talk a lot in their footnotes about the industrial-age paradigm and the "new paradigm."  I think I can guess the prior... but I'm wondering where I can learn more about this so-called "new paradigm"... that's, well, not so new anymore - but you know what I mean.  I get that there are other theories out there, many that might fit under the umbrella of the new paradigm.  What are those?  Ideas?  Can someone draw me a map and point me in the right direction? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Matthew!

    Good post!

    I really like the STAR Legacy theory too! I am so looking forward to using STAR as a framework for a module - and allowing future students to leave their legacy!

    ReplyDelete